The heat and humidity in Chennai (and Delhi) is enough to put any enthusiastic and cheery person off. Alas, the Indian “garmi” is in stark contrast to the romantic and poetic “Summer” of the west!
Which Indian will talk of summer as:
“Great is the sun, and wide he goes
Through empty heaven with repose;”
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
I wonder if the yogic power of auto suggestion – or in more filmy terms – the “aall izzz well” mantra really works…The plan is to list down things that I love about the summers (I better have a long list because that’s the only season in the city where I live – Chennai).
As always, it would be great to hear your summer hit list too!
- No. 1 - Raw mangoes - With a dash of red chilli powder and a touch of salt
- Naariyal paani (tender coconut) – I insist on eating the fattening “malaai” too!
- Lemon Soda with lots of yummy masala
- Gola or chuski – the kaala khatta one at the Rajasthan stall at Dilli Haat (Delhi) being the best I have ever had!
- I am wondering if I should mention ice creams because I can eat them and enjoy them irrespective of the season :)
- (Gosh I am such a foodie all that comes to my mind is what I can “feed” on! - Summers is a time when weather permits walks - but motivation is another matter)
- Light, breezy clothes – come to think of it – most desirable and fashionable wardrobes are designed for summers!
- If I was in school, I would have surely said summer vacation, but, well…
- Ummm, what else?