Vish and I clocked 8 years together as a married couple, and with a toddler on a week day, this was pretty much the highlight of our day (after a satiating meal of home made pasta and bruschetta - yes, you see I am finding my way back to the kitchen :p)!
This is an Irish car bomb cake - A chocolate Guinness cake with a subtle flavor of Irish whiskey. The frosting is whipped cream cheese with a hint of whiskey for the layers and Baileys for the top. Here's the recipe I followed. And if you are not drooling already, here's the picture of the show stopper of the evening.
...what she has left behind is memories - of huge jars of amle ka murabba, meethe aate ke cheele, suji ke pue, aloo ki roti (so that I would eat aloo paratha during those fussy teen years when crash diets were the norm), daal and rice from the solar cooker, hand knitted baby sweaters and nappies, her gentle voice (In all these years, I had never heard a shout or an angry tone), her subtle sense of humor, her liberal thinking, her spectacles, her freckled hands that were always soft, the pallu on her head, the red bindi, the grey curls, the bend of her spine as she said her prayers, and also the hesitant footsteps, the forgotten words, the empty silent eyes, and the fading touch with reality in the last few years.
With her going, I have no grandparents left. She has taken with her a whole generation of "parents".
P.S. I have not been washed away in rainy Portland - I have been growing fatter during my Great Indian Vacation, of which I hope to share more in the days to come but meanwhile coming to my perennial sin - gluttony. So I do promise to be more disciplined and less indulgent from February 01, 2015 but for the time being, you have to have to try this out - Chocolate Cup Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - as sinful as this sounds, the one saving grace is that it is whole wheat!
1. That I was able to complete the challenge - To remember to post everyday and also think of 3 nice things to pen down - it wasn't all that easy! So I pat myself on the back for that :D.
2. Medical advancement: I was just scheduling my daughter's routine health checkup and also simultaneously reading an article about how many under-developed countries still do not have primary care access for all - this is so sad. What we take as granted in our lives is a privilege for others.
3. Fire engines and cop cars: And I grateful for not just what services they provide but also because every fire engine and cop car that passes our home, my daughter squeals in delight and is engages for a good 5 minutes giving me time to do random things like check facebook and blog!!!
So there, I have successfully completed the challenge and as part of the rules, I need to tag three people to pass on the challenge to...And they are...
1. Easy and relaxed Monday mornings - I miss working sometimes but surely not on Monday mornings. It is not easy being with an early rising hyperactive toddler but considering I don't have to rush anywhere, we get by the mornings at our own pace - with cuddles and snuggles and chasing each other, while poor Vish jealously looks on as he gets ready for work!
2. Home cooked food: I love food but hate cooking, and after a weekend of excesses and outside food, it feels good to cook a simple meal at home. Imagine, I am saying this - I must be really bored of eating out!
3. Online gift portals: Just sent a rakhi to my brother for rakshabandhan (an Indian festival) - about 3-4 clicks spanning a time frame of 45-60 seconds, and I was done - so easy these days!
1. Public Libraries - That are huge, spacious, clean, beautiful, free, and house one of my greatest loves - books! Weekly trips to the library are something that all three of us look forward to!
2. Greenery - Living in one of the greenest cities in NA has its clear advantages - all the greenery, the lush trees, the soft and vibrant grass, the tall and stately pines - anybody would become a nature lover.
3. Internet TVs - We bid goodbye to cable a while back and good riddance to that because now we can enjoy what we want, when we want, and how much we want it for! Yay for online streaming, Internet TVs and Chromecast we got ourselves covered!